BYSOL is a team of dozens of employees and volunteers led by co-founder Andrei Strizhak. Most of us had to leave the country because of repression. We work from different parts of the world and together with activists and representatives of diasporas, we help those who suffered at the hands of the Belarusian regime. Right now we are also helping activists, volunteers and initiatives in Ukraine. We have launched a channel where we collect information on departure, evacuation and adaptation in other countries, and give private consultations. At the moment we have processed more than 10,000 private applications.
Andrey Strizhak is a human rights defender, civil activist, and volunteer. He has worked in the public sector since 2000. He helped repressed people in Belarus, local residents and medics in the war zone in Donbas.
In 2020, together with other activists, Andrei launched the ByCovid-19 volunteer initiative, which helped doctors in Belarus during the pandemic: volunteers bought personal protective equipment for medics, which the state did not provide them with.
What are we doing right now?
Right now BYSOL is working in a number of areas:
- We support backyard initiatives in Belarus.
- We help the families of political prisoners, who often have no sources of income.
- We do emergency relocation of Belarusians who are in danger of arrest for political reasons.
- We support those who have been convicted for political reasons and now need help: medical, psychological and financial, in order to return to a normal life.
- We support Belarusian volunteers who are right now fighting for the freedom of Ukraine and helping its inhabitants to withstand the blows of the aggressor.
- Thanks to your support we are buying vehicles, as well as necessary medicines and means of protection for initiatives inside the country, working with Ukrainian medics and civilians in the conflict zone.
We're monitoring the situation in Belarus all the time, responding to community requests and helping those who need it:
- we launched a fundraiser to help get the children of political prisoners ready for school and purchase stationery, backpacks, and other necessities for them
- with your help we arranged a holiday for families of political prisoners on Christmas.
- Thanks to you, we raised funds to help veterans who had been abandoned by the state.
There is a person behind each of these fundraisers and behind each referral. We work to help those who are fighting for freedom.
Thanks to thousands of people who care — thanks to you, we've been able to help a huge number of people. The total amount of aid at the moment is 4.5 million euros.